Run tests using GitHub actions in SpringBoot project
When you use GitHub and you really want to run all tests when a new PR is created, or just when code is pushed, then you can use Github Actions.
In the root of your project create a directory named “.github” and inside it another directory named “workflows”. Here we will add our .yml script that can be modified to fit your needs and extended. Bear with me, I am still learning this as I go and this is a basic script. Yaml script to run testes on push in github:
name: Maven Run Tests when push to Main and PRs. This is what it says. It’s the name I choose for my script
Run this script when a Push is identified directly on
- main Run this script when a Push is identified directly on
- Push events to branches matching refs/heads/card-*
Run this script when a new PR is created on
card-** branches. The latter is specific to the way I want to name my feature branches. You would delete or change this to your own pattern naming.
- jobs: build: runs-on: windows-latest
I am running this script on windows. You can use an array here or just another OS. Example: [ubuntu-latest, windows-latest]
- uses: actions/checkout@v2
- name: Set up JDK 1.11 uses: actions/setup-java@v1 with: java-version: 1.11
- name: Build with Maven run: mvn -B package –file pom.xml
- name: Test with Maven run: mvn -B test –file pom.xml
I am using Maven with Java 11 (and I want to update to Java 14) and running the
mvn test command.
Result after I created a new PR
This is everything that is needed for a basic .yml script to run tests. I tested this a few times and a gotcha that you need to take care of is to USE SPACE
key: value in this pattern.
Notes mentioning this note
There are no notes linking to this note.